I got the Tata broadband connection yesterday – that was fast. I was expecting at least one week wait before getting the connection.
- Aug 25, Fri – Took the connection, paid for it.
- Aug 26, Sat – Tata phoned to confirm the address/phone number etc.
- Aug 27, Sun – Holiday(?)
- Aug 28, Mon – Tata phoned us to confirm that they will be coming on the next day
- Aug 29, Tue – Tata engineres came, and hooked us up.
- Aug 30, Wed(Today) – Posted the news on the blog.
Total time between payment and connection : 5 Days(1 day holiday)
By Indian standards, that is blazing fast. I am sorry that I could not post this yesterday – I was busy interneting(new word! Wohoo!!)
I did a online test for speed and I got 106 kbps(at night) – that is much better than what I expected to get for a 128kbps. I expected something like 50-70kbps. Of course, I had rather low expectation. Important lesson here – never, ever, think that you will be getting the speed the sales agents have promised – those number have no relation to reality whatsoever(think Bistromathic Drive from Hitchhiker’s Guide). Being a pessimist have some fringe benefits – you are rarely dissappointed.
I must admit I was slightly alarmed by some anti-tata articles on the net like…
- Tata Broadband: Looting customers? – have a look at the comment section – really scary stuff.
- Red Alert: Escape from Tata Indicom!
- Tata Broadband– Doubtful about this one – is this a splog?
I had a difficult time finding good reviews about Tata – this is the only one I could find – Broadband service in Bangalore, even thought I have got some OK reviews from my friends.
But what do I know – I am new to broadband. Right now, I like it and will recommend it. However, I may change my opinion when I try to get some customer support.